I successfully hit my goal of 75 books off the TBR pile for the TBR Challenge to reach El Toro, but could probably have reached Mt. Everest with a little more focus in October and November. Here’s the final list:
- Tickets for Death by Brett Halliday (3 copies, purchased in 2008, 2009, and 2011)
- Assignment Treason by Edward S. Aarons (on TBR pile since 2009)
- Broken Shield by Ben Benson (on TBR pile since 2007)
- Blow Hot, Blow Cold by Ellery Queen (on TBR pile since prior to 2006)
- Day of the Ram by William Campbell Gault (on TBR pile only since 2015)
- Nude in Nevada by Thomas B. Dewey (on TBR pile since 2015)
- The Price of Murder by John D. MacDonald (2 copies, prior to 2006 and 2007)
- Turn on the Heat by A.A. Fair (on TBR pile since 2007)
- Castle Skull by John Dickson Carr (purchased in 2015)
- Shakedown by Richard Ellington (on TBR pile prior to 2006)
- Million Dollar Murder by Edward S. Aarons (on TBR pile prior to 2006)
- Stone Cold Blonde by Adam Knight (on TBR pile since 2008)
- Swan Song by Edmund Crispin (on TBR pile since ca. 2005)
- Death Lights a Candle by Phoebe Atwood Taylor
- The Toff Goes to Market by John Creasey
- The Silencers by Donald Hamilton
- Hunter at Large by Thomas B. Dewey
- The Ice-Cold Nude by Carter Brown
- Death’s Long Shadow by Jay Barbette
- The Corpse Came Calling by Brett Halliday
- Joker in the Deck by Richard S. Prather
- Maigret and the Tavern by the Seine by Georges Simenon
- Dragnet, Case No. 561 by David Knight (Richard S. Prather)
- Alibi at Dusk by Ben Benson
- The Charred Witness by George Harmon Coxe
- Tether’s End by Margery Allingham
- The Black Door by Cleve F. Adams
- Death Comes as the End by Agatha Christie
- The Plague Court Murders by Carter Dickson
- The Under Dog and Other Stories by Agatha Christie
- Little Lulu, Volume 28: The Prize Winner and Other Stories by John Stanley
- Mystery in SpaceMystery in Space by Gardner Fox and others
- The Frightened Ladies by Ben Benson
- Alfred Hitchcock’s Coffin Break
- The Best Dr. Thorndyke Detective Stories by R. Austin Freeman
- Witness to Death (Saint Mystery Library #2) by Wenzel Brown and others
- Blackjacked and Pistol Whipped: A Crime Does Not Pay Primer by Bob Wood and others
- Night Train to Paris by Manning Coles
- Showcase Presents: The Haunted Tank, Vol. 1 by Robert Kanigher and others
- The Running Man by Ben Benson
- Slay Ride by Frank Kane
- Our Gang Vol. 3, by Walt Kelly
- Death in Four Colors by Brandon Bird
- Footprints on a Brain: The Inspector Allhoff Stories by D.L. Champion
- Seven by John D. MacDonald
- High Adventure 98: The Crimson Mask by Norman Daniels
- Alex Raymond’s Flash Gordon Vol. 6 by Alex Raymond
- The Case of the Murdered Model by Thomas B. Dewey
- No Footprints in the Bush by Arthur W. Upfield
- Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
- The Ninth Hour by Ben Benson
- Blood on the Stars by Brett Halliday
- The So Blue Marble by Dorothy B. Hughes
- Death Is a Stowaway by Wesley Price
- Milton Caniff’s Steve Canyon: 1952 by Milton Caniff
- Grave Danger by Frank Kane
- A Taste for Violence by Brett Halliday
- House of Terror by Evelyn Berckman
- Call for Michael Shayne by Brett Halliday
- The Brave Bad Girls by Thomas B. Dewey
- A Risky Way to Kill by Richard Lockridge
- Murder Sails at Midnight by Marian Babson
- Criminal Conversation by Nicolas Freeling
- Llana of Gathol by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Pistol Passport by Eugene Cunningham
- Kill the Clown by Richard S. Prather
- Terry and the Pirates: Flying Ace Dude (Vol. 12, 1940-1941) by Milt Caniff
- The Happy Hollisters and the Mystery of the Little Mermaid by Jerry West
- Who Killed Madcap Millicent? by Roger Fuller
- The Corpse Was No Bargain at All by Hampton Stone
- The Flying Eye by Bob McKnight/Never Forget, Never Forgive by Clayton Fox
- Fenner by George Harmon Coxe
- High Fury by Harry Whittington
- Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman Vol. 4
- Walt Disney’s Uncle Scrooge in Only a Poor Old Man (Gladstone Comic Album Series No. 20)
- Walt Disney’s Donald and Gladstone (Gladstone Comic Album Series, No. 15)
- Walt Disney’s Donald and Daisy (Gladstone Comic Album Series No. 12)
- Walt Disney’s Donald Duck Family (Gladstone Comic Album Series No. 21)
- Walt Disney’s Donald Duck Adventures Voodoo Hoodoo (Gladstone Comic Album Series No. 16)
- Walt Disney’s Uncle Scrooge: Hawaiian Hideaway (Gladstone Comic Album Series No. 11)
- Tarzan: Jewels of Opar by Russ Manning
- Essential Fantastic Four, Volume 3
- Tarzan: The Lost Adventure, Vol. 1 by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Joe R. Lansdale
- Tarzan: The Lost Adventure, Vol. 2 by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Joe R. Lansdale
- Tarzan: The Lost Adventure, Vol. 3 by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Joe R. Lansdale
- Tarzan: The Lost Adventure, Vol. 4 by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Joe R. Lansdale
- High Adventure 44: Black Lightning by Robert Sidney Bowen
As for completing the proverbs, here goes:
A stitch in time…[is] A Risky Way to Kill.
Don’t count your chickens…[in the] House of Terror.
A penny saved is….[a] Broken Shield.
All good things must come…[to a] Tether’s End.
When in Rome…Kill the Clown.
All that glitters is not…Blood on the Stars.
A picture is worth a…A Joker in the Deck.
When the going gets tough, the tough get…A Taste for Violence.
Two wrongs don’t make…[an] Alibi at Dusk.
The pen is mightier than….[the] Night Train to Paris.
The squeaky wheel gets…[a] Shakedown.
Hope for the best, but prepare for…Death’s Long Shadow.
Birds of a feather flock…Turn on the Heat.